The first week of our refit at Boat Lagoon is drawing to a close. Pretty good progress. The mast is now out and planing of the hull has started.
|Stripping hull back to bare fibreglass|
|Mast partially stripped - pole track removed|
On Wednesday I emptied both fuel tanks and entirely removed the forward tank. The tanks were cleaner than I expected but there was a little black "gunk" at the bottom of each. I also further loosened off the rig ready for its removal in the afternoon. Scott's guys removed the rig.
On Thursday I removed the radome, spinnaker pole track, winch bracket and clutches from the mast. They're the items which won't be replaced after the mast is repainted. I also decided that the mast mounted nav lights need to be replaced. The plastic "glass" in both of them is very cloudy so they're history.
On Friday I removed the mast compression post in the cabin. Luckily it slid out (just) without any need to jack up the deck. Scott's guys cut away the GRP around the keel root, finding water emerged from the cut. They then started planing the hull which exposed some blisters and hull dampness under the barrier coatings. The hull will certainly need to dry out before the new GRP is laid up.
|Ready to start on removing the keel|
Have a good weekend!