We're making good progress on the final jobs on the to-do-in-the-marina list...
- Service the outboard
- Refurbish the quarter berth
- The big chart sort-out
- Investigate Google Earth image "charts" for use in OpenCPN
|Very dirty carby|
Amazingly the motor started on the second pull. After the first I attached the HT lead to the spark plug! Huzzah. With the carby OK I ordered new impellers from the US. It appears there are no suppliers in Australia. Perhaps Nissan outboards were never sold here.
The quarter berth refurbishment has been going on for some time. I stripped off the old, discoloured foam-backed vinyl and removed the headliner. The vinyl was stained and the headliner was robbing us of a huge volume of "sitting head room". It was a long job scrubbing off the contact cement used to secure the vinyl. This week I finished that job with a final sand, then started painting. We decided to apply only undercoat for its matt finish.
The big chart sort-out took about 12 solid hours (in sessions). We have about 150 charts, most bought recently from Bellingham Chart Printers in the US. The charts were provided as a number of folios for geographical areas. They are now all folded in "eighths" which works well on our small chart table; ordered and stowed to suit our route through SE Asia and beyond; and specified in a spreadsheet.
The Google Earth image "chart" library is a very cool idea supported by the OpenCPN PC chart plotter software. With a plug-in and the GE2KAP software OpenCPN can accurately overlay the images on normal charts.