As mentioned in several posts previously (in particular here), we've had problems with our autopilot rams. We have two complete Raymarine SPX5 systems with two Type 3 tiller rams. Two rams have lasted only 5000nm or so each.
The Raymarine man here in Simon's Town is very good and seems well connected with senior Raymarine staff in the US. He looked at the system configuration - both software and hardware - and made several recommendations. We have now completed implementing them all.
First we changed several configuration parameters, all of which are Dealer Calibration settings. Our original calibration runs (separately for the two systems) resulted in Rudder Gain and Counter Rudder settings being set very high.
|Rudder Gain reduced|
|Counter Rudder reduced|
|Rudder Damping unchanged|
Thirdly we had a second pin fitted to the tiller, matching second mounting points on the two brackets. These allow us to fit the rams 150mm further aft. This gives us some redundancy (in case one of the pins detaches for example) and may perform better in some conditions.
|Modified tiller with new brackets port & starboard|
Other boat work done recently includes:
- replacing two lost/damaged fenders
- purchased iNavX Navionics charts for Caribbean and Europe
- generated GoogleEarth imagery for Windward and Leeward Caribbean islands