Yes we should be sailing in summer but instead we're filling the cruising kitty (aka working) and working on the to-do list.
In May we spent two weeks home in Perth. That 787 Dreamliner certainly does go to windward like a dream. We had a fantastic holiday spending time with family and at our home club - Fremantle Sailing Club.
Back in London we got started on our major project for the summer - refurbishing the head compartment. During the winter we replaced the old electric toilet with a Blake's Lavac toilet. Now we're refurbishing the compartment as a whole. It's still in its original form - circa 1986. The moulded GRP "shell" had started life cream in colour but became brownish over the decades.
This post describes the first three weekends of the project.
|Ready for a make-over|
|Old deck-head GRP panel stripped of teak, light and dorade vent surround|
|Cutting out the old sink|
|Old sink gone|
|Ready to sand|
We then applied Epifanes epoxy primer overall. 750ml gave us 2 coats over most of the compartment with the dregs used to paint the locker below the sink. We used left-over rollers which "shed" so we'll be using foam rollers for the next coats.
The next step was to cut out a new GRP panel to cover the holes used over the years for hoses to and from several toilets. The panels we used are about 2.5mm thick with one side having a painted finish. A tenant saw did a nice job on the linear cuts and a hole saw likewise for the hose penetrations. We made a paper template of the panel first!
|Painted GRP panel|
|GRP panel fitted (screwed and glued)|
|Revarnished teak trim|
|First layer of GRP panel worktop|
|Second layer of GRP panel under compression|
|Hole cutting with the Dremel|
|Splashbacks in place|
Trust all's well where you are!