The last couple of weeks have been very busy, with hours snatched here and there to work on the boat. Here's what we got done...
- Finished repainting lazarette and cockpit locker
- Sealed cockpit drain hoses and fitted new bilge pump hoses in the lockers
- Used cut-to-size rubber panels and sealant to seal all holes through lazarette bulkhead
- Similarly sealed holes through main cockpit bulkhead
- Rerigged mainsail after Extreme Sails replaced all luff slugs and their webbing
- Took a steady stream of "cruising stuff" home for storage
|After renovation (with HF autotuner at right)|
|New helisteel hoses|
At 3000 rpm we were starting to get smoke from the exhaust but the engine hadn't run out of power. Maximum revs on the engine are 3600, but I don't think we needed to push above 3000 which was giving us greater than the boat's nominal hull speed! The new engine seems to match the prop size and pitch very well.
After the speed trial we had a very nice sail over to Rottnest, continuing around the island leaving it to port. Once on the south side we were in the lee of the island plus the wind was decreasing generally. We had a nice beat along the south side to Parker Point, where the wind became very light and we started the motor. Our plan had been to give the new shaft seal a few hours run-in and so it turned out. No leaks.
|Zen Again Track|
The sail also proved the new mainsail slugs run up and down the mast fine, and the new boom gooseneck and vang "knuckles" work well. It's great not to have the boom slopping around as it was previously.
Also, the boat sails so much faster with 2" less draft!!! (ie after removing all the cruising gear).
|New gooseneck "knuckle"|
|Nice tidy mainsail|
Trust all's well where you are.