We are currently in position 28 30S 40 00E and saillng at 6.5 knots on a course of 250M. The wind is E at 20-25 knots with a 2m sea from the E and a swell from the S. We are sailing under double-reefed main and staysail. Our day's run was 134nm and we have 415nm to go.
We had a pretty cruisy night last night, sailing under staysail alone. We were doing 5.5 to 6.0 knots even under this reduced canvas. The wind was 25-30, possibly higher at times. Below the ride was very comfortable although a little rolly at times. We caught up on lost sleep from the previous exciting/restless night.
This morning the winds moderated somewhat and we rehoisted the double-reefed main. We're back into our "munching the miles" / fast-cruising mode and the boat is loving it. Apart from occasional minor "sideswipes" from the S swell she's very comfortable below.
We aim to reach Richards Bay before the next southerly comes through. We should get there on Sunday which is a day before one is predicted. We're not pushing the boat hard, just letting her eat up the miles for us. Not much left of that elephant!!! If we are delayed then we'll just have to heave-to off the coast until conditions allow us to cross the Agulhas current. We know Zen Again is happy doing that too!
On the HF sked this morning Alfred from the abandoned OCC yacht Ironhorse joined us from the radio room of his rescue ship. It was very nice of the skipper to allow him to do so and we all enjoyed hearing him. He sounded relaxed and healthy. He briefly explained the multiple problems which caused him to declare an emergency. It must be terrible to suffer the loss of such a well loved and well travelled boat, but the main thing is that the crew are safe and unharmed. Alfred and Rosemary will be on the ship until she docks at Singapore.