Tuesday, 16 October 2012

Cape Kelayang (Day 2)

Hi everyone,
We had a great night's sleep last night thanks to the light winds and anchorage protected from the SE breeze.  This morning we had a swim, scrubbing growth off around the waterline - a never ending job in the tropics.  After that we soaped-up in the cockpit and jumped back in to rinse off, then had a quick shower in the cockpit using our fresh-water solar shower.  Very nice.

At 0900 we met Graham and Anne from Kakadu ashore and went for a walk around part of the bay.  There are some very nice beaches and the boulders certainly make them spectacular.  Behind the beaches are the remains of what appears to be either defunct or never completed resorts.  Doesn't exactly add to the natural attraction.  There are new buildings being constructed, but these appear to be where shows and speeches would be held, not where tourists could stay.

Bouldery beach
More boulders
After the walk around we had lime juice, banana pancakes and coffee for $2 per person.  We sheltered in the cafe as a thunderstorm came through with 30+ knot NE winds and heavy rain.  Once that passed we returned to our dinghies and headed back to the boats.  The NE wind was blowing directly into the bay and a 1+ metre breaking sea was setting the anchored boats pitching wildly.  It also made the dinghy ride "exciting" and extremely wet!

Back aboard safely we let out a couple more metres of our nylon snubber line on the anchor rode.  It was stretching and recovering dramatically, probably stretching 0.5m over a 4m line.  That's what nylon's good at!  The bow of the boat was going under at times as she pitched.  Happily our Manson Supreme anchor held well.

Riding out the thunderstorm
Several more thunderstorms came through.  It seems a low pressure area has developed to the east of us and is creating the storms.  We had some heavy rainfall with strong winds, then steady light rain for several hours with quite a sea running through the anchorage.  By mid-afternoon the rain stopped and the wind reduced to 5-8 knots, and the sea was dying down.

Later in the afternoon I went ashore and had four 20 litre diesel jerry cans filled.  With the almost full main tanks they give us plenty of fuel to get to the Singapore area.  Even if we have to motor all the way - which is a real possibility.
Tomorrow we plan to depart towards Kentar Island which is just across the equator.  Graham and Anne on Kadadu may have a line-crossing ceremony in store for us.  They have crossed the line before, so are (apparently) entitled to play King Neptune.  It's a worry.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment