Monday, 20 June 2016

Azores Outbound - Day 2

Hi everyone,
We are currently in position 41 50N 026 44W, saillng at 5 knots on a course of 035M. The wind is WSW at 14-18 knots with a 1m sea and 2m swell. We are sailing under double-reefed main and single-furled yankee. Overcast, misty sky. Our day's run was 137nm, our DMG was 101nm and we have 1025nm to go.

Yesterday afternoon the wind gradually settled at 10-12 knots and the slatting of the sails died down. Early in the afternoon we double-reefed the main which helped to stop the sails slatting and didn't cost us any boat speed. It was a nice sunny afternoon.

By mid-evening the wind had built to 15 knots and we were making good progress, albeit to the north. We considered gybing east on several occasions but decided against. Cloud was moving over from the NW and we knew a weak front would have to be crossed at some stage. We decided to get it over with so stood on.

At midnight the sky was not only overcast but we were in fog. It's tricky identifying fog at night but we find the tricolour to be a good indicator. If we can see both red and green "halos" on each side of the light then it is foggy. We kept an especially close eye on the AIS for the rest of the night, and stayed on deck (or in the companionway) throughout. Twas damp and chilly.

This morning it has remained overcast but the fog has become mist, with about 1nm visibility. The wind is slowly veering towards the W. Eventually it should get around to the NW and (hopefully) we should break out into clear skies.

It seems strange to be in the forties (latitude) and still heading polewards. We'll be going a lot further north yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment