We've now been here at Rodrigues Island for four days. So far we haven't escaped beyond the port town of Port Mathurin but we really like the place. Everyone is very friendly and the place has a very relaxed pace of life.
|Zen Again at anchor in Port Mathurin|
- Lots of s/s polishing
- Checked & cleaned all bilges, lockers and compartments for water
- Food stocktake
- Laundry (done by local lady)
- Topped up fresh water (from rainwater tank ashore so filtered and treated aboard)
- Serviced engine (oil & filters)
- Installed new boom preventer
- End-for-ended anchor chain
|View of the anchorage from above the town|
|Exterior of market building|
|At the market|
The town reminds us very much of Dili in Timor Leste, albeit smaller. The same variety of shops in somewhat run-down buildings colourfully decorated and staffed by friendly people.
|One of many art-deco buldings in town|
|Typical store in Port Mathurin|
|MV Anna approaching the harbour|
|MV Anna alongside in Port Mathurin (US yacht Haulback in foreground)|
We expect to do some touring inland over the next few days.